Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Paczki Day!



Paczki Day (aka Fat Tuesday) may sound like an excuse to grab a dozen doughnuts, but it is so much more. The paczki is a Polish doughnut: fried dough filled with fruit preservatives or sweet cream and topped with powdered sugar or glaze.

Historically, Fat Tuesday was an opportunity for Polish Catholics to eat all the sugar, eggs and lard in their house before Lent. Whether Catholic or not, however, Detroiters know a good holiday when they taste it and head to Hamtramck -- the city that made Fat Tuesday a two-day holiday and gave it a parade -- to celebrate. In addition to standing in line at one of Hamtramck’s many Polish bakeries to gorge themselves, Detroiters can attend several Paczki Day happenings on February 15th and 16th, including a pre-party countdown, ethnic music and dancing, bar crawls and paczki-eating contests.

For better or worse, paczki have become so popular that local supermarkets such as Kroger and Busch's carry them, which makes it way too easy to get a hold of a box. The question is whether the Hamtramck paczki makes it worth the trip.

To me there's nothing like a paczki straight from a Polish bakery in Hamtramck! My grandmother used to make them when I was young and to this day paczki's can always bring a big smile to my face .......

When my children were little I just had to buy some paczki pals in Hamtramck to help celebrate the day, they would get really mad if I forgot to put them out. LOL



My son's would have contests to see who could eat the most paczki's on Fat Tuesday ... the days of buying 2 dozen of the yummy treats are over for now, but I know if the day is ever here when all of my children happen to be home for paczki day we'll just have to buy 3 dozen so they can get their fix :)

Dominic (son #3) surprised us last night with 6 paczki's from Hamtramck ..... 2 for him and 1 for everybody else LOL

Happy Happy Paczki Day!

How many will you be eating today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I really appreciate it. I hope you will consider becoming a Follower of my blog and come back and visit me regularly.